The purpose of the First Baptist Church is to inspire trust in God and develop disciples of Jesus Christ.
The vision of the First Baptist Church is to raise the quality of life in Jesus’ name for the congregation, the community, and the world through our ministries of worship, Christian formation, fellowship, mission, and emerging ministries that foster social justice, morality and equality for all people.
The First Baptist Church is Baptist by conviction, ecumenical in spirit, and committed to Christian service.
Believing that God offers forgiveness and hope to heal our lives and make us whole, we seek to create a worshiping community characterized by the study of scripture, prayer, forgiveness, peace, joy, and the full welcome of Jesus.
We accept the risk of creating a transforming community that brings good news to the poor, proclaims release to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, sets oppressed people free, and proclaims the year of the Lord’s favor. Luke 4:18-19, NRSV
We seek to be a welcoming community where every child of God is included. We welcome and affirm as God’s people all who wish to join us in our journey of faith. Individually we espouse soul freedom, endeavoring to live by the moral and ethical principles taught by Christ and revealed in scripture, realizing that God is the ultimate and sole judge of our thoughts and actions. As a worshipping community, we celebrate and seek to be worthy trustees of God’s creation in all its diversity. We uphold freedom of religious expression, expect no conformity to any creed, and strive for social justice within all human relationships. If it is your desire to continue your journey of faith with this community, speak to any member of the congregation.
First Baptist Church of Rochester is a Christian community that values creativity in worship, thought, and music to support a progressive theology and biblical interpretation which encourages its members and guests to pursue a personal journey of spiritual growth and development.
First Baptist Church of Rochester celebrates diversity within the human family by recognizing the value of each individual, extending inclusive welcome to all, promoting respect without censure, and providing compassionate mission and ministry for everyone. Come experience soul freedom with us.
Believing that God has called us into being as persons and as a church;
Confessing that we need God to experience our humanity to the fullest;
Accepting Jesus Christ as the human face of God, and One we know as brother, teacher, confessor, redeemer, Lord, and Savior;
Promising faithfulness to the way of Christ and to the unique community of the Church, empowered by the Holy Spirit, we establish this covenant with God and each other:
- To uphold the purpose of the First Baptist Church of Rochester, which is to inspire trust in God and to develop disciples of Jesus Christ.
- To endeavor to live by the moral and ethical principles taught by Christ and revealed in scripture.
- To uphold freedom of religious expression, to honor the diverse ways in which God is known among us, and to strive for social justice within all human relationships.
- To create a worshiping community characterized by love, the study of scripture, prayer, forgiveness, peace, joy, and welcome.
- To accept the risks that accompany the holy process of transformation and the struggles of any community that follows Jesus with passion.
- To pursue our common vision to raise the quality of life in Jesus’ name for the congregation, the community, and the world through our ministries of compassionate service.